Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Chiari 1 Malformation

They found something interesting. They say I have a Chiari 1 Malformation. This means that part of my cerebellum is herniating into my spinal canal. They say this may not explain all of my symptoms. There is a surgery for it, but I do not qualify for it at this time. Meaning, my symptoms are atypical of Chiari and they don't know if the surgery would help. Furthermore, they like to wait till you lose a lot of your independence and functioning before they cut open your head. I can still walk for up to 3 blocks at once, and I'm still managing to hold down a part time job, so I guess I'm doing ok, comparatively.

I feel as though I have a long road ahead of me still.

I do have a lot of headaches, well one all the time that gets worse at times. Tylenol doesn't help. Coffee helps. They say caffeine opens your blood vessels or something.

Anyway, it's all very thought provoking, but for now I'm going to take a break from doctor's appointments. I wish I felt like I could think properly. I hate thinking about this stuff, but it's hard to get it out of my head when I'm constantly reminded by the nagging symptoms. Of what... I'm not exactly sure. I worry about the times when things go numb, or all pins and needles, or when my hand gets to trembly and cramped up after I play guitar for a few minutes.

I suppose I have to think of what I still cando. I'm not wasting away yet. Things can always level out at some point and stop getting worse. Or, get better even. That would be nice.

Speaking of nice. I made a mini-vacation out of my last out of town doctor visit. That's always a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment